Civil rights, religious, Republican, military leaders and families to speak at historic event
By Cathy Kristofferson, March 23, 2013
Supporters of marriage equality will gather at 8:30am Tuesday morning on the steps of the Supreme Court before the first of two marriage equality hearings.
The speakers will include an impressive collection of civil rights activists, religious leaders, military leaders and families:
- Brendon Ayanbadejo, Superbowl champion and Baltimore Ravens linebacker
- Wade Henderson, President, Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton
- The Very Rev. Gary Hall, Dean of Washington National Cathedral
- Margaret Hoover, GOP strategist and political commentator
- Nelda Majors and Karen Bailey, Phoenix couple together for more than 50 years
- David Frum, GOP strategist and former speechwriter for President George W. Bush; political commentator
- Allyson Robinson, Executive Director, OutServe-SLDN
- Craig Stowell and his wife, Berta, Former Marine and conservative Republican
- Andy McNeil and Todd Bludworth, Fathers to twin boy and girl
- Janet Murguía, President, National Council of La Raza
- Brent Wilkes, National Executive Director, League of United Latin American Citizens
- Rev. Al Sharpton, civil rights activist and host of MSNBC’s ‘PoliticsNation’
- LZ Granderson, CNN and ESPN commentator
- Lt. Col. Linda Campbell, who was granted the first same-sex spousal burial in a U.S. national cemetery for her partner
- Bishop Gene Robinson and his daughter, Ella Robinson
Tuesday morning, the Supreme Court will hear the first of two ‘marriage cases’, Hollingsworth v. Perry challenging the Constitutionality of the marriage equality ban put in place in the California Constitution by the majority vote received on the 2004 Proposition 8.
Then on Wednesday they will hear the second case, U.S. v. Windsor challenging Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act’s ability to violate the Constitutional guarantee of Equal Protection under the Law provided by the 14th Amendment.
Related articles –
- The many possible outcomes of the SCOTUS DOMA and Prop8 hearings (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Red White and Blue is for ALL as LGBT Americans prepare Marriage Rally Signs for SCOTUS (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Katie Herzig says I DO support marriage equality (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Rallies Across the United States for Marriage Equality (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Video Hillary Clinton talks about the importance of marriage equality(oblogdeeoblogda.me)
I give a huge thank you to all the speakers. Experts say the court cannot be swayed. I hope the cannot help but look out the window, etc! This simply has to work! Thank you Melanie for taking the entire operation across the country….. for this reporting. Nice work.