BECOMING MORE VISIBLE, – A burgeoning crisis
Posted by Melanie Nathan, January 25, 2014.
From behind the lens of photographer Josh Lehrer, a groundbreaking film will tell the compelling stories of five, homeless transgender teens. Their backgrounds are diverse, but their stories are strikingly similar. Rejected by their families and lured to New York City with the hope of finding connection and love, many of these trans teens instead find themselves again rejected and homeless.
Producers have noted:
“After years of exploring this topic we now want to turn an inquisitive lens to the society at large; a society that refuses to acknowledge a broad spectrum of gender expression and to ask them some pertinent questions:
•What do homeless trans teens have to teach our community about life, culture, family, safety and love?
• If trans people have been around since the beginning of civilization, why has our culture been the one to so profoundly let them down?
• What does this massive dismissal say about us?
• And if nothing is wasted in this world, then what are the lessons implied in embracing these kids, rather than casting them out?
• Would it mean we would have to become more loving, more celebratory, more open and more willing to cherish the differences in all people?
• And what, ultimately, does this out of hand rejection say about the responsibility that human beings have for one another?
Whatever the answers, it starts with, BECOMING MORE VISIBLE.
Producer/Director Pamela French and Photographer/Producer Josh Lehrer are presently, trying to raise money through Kickstarter, a crowd-funding site, for the film BECOMING MORE VISIBLE – they have created and posted a trailer about the film which can be found here –http://kck.st/1cWHQ9t
Ms. French notes that the filmmakers are seeking help in completing this film:
“We would also appreciate if you’re moved by the trailer to please make a donation, big or small, so that this documentary can BECOME MORE VISIBLE to ALL!”
BECOMING MORE VISIBLE
Like us here FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/becomingmorevisible
Tweet about us here @bvthefilm.com
Widget Preview for Kickstarter page: